close
close

81% of Young People Say a Four-Day Workweek Would Increase Productivity, New Research Reports from CNBC/Generation Lab – NBC New York

Young adults support calls for a four-day work week.

A new CNBC/Generation Lab national survey of 1,033 people ages 18 to 34 shows that an overwhelming 81% of respondents believe a four-day work week would increase their company’s productivity, while 19% said productivity would decrease.

These results from the “Youth and Money in the US” study come from discussions about the potential benefits of moving from the standard five-day American work week to a four-day cadence without a pay cut.

Some companies have started testing the scheme, saying it has reduced employee burnout and boosted business performance.

Exos, an American coaching company that trains elite athletes and runs corporate wellness programs, recently reported results from the first six months of an ongoing four-day workweek experiment. The company said the shortened workweek increased efficiency, along with revenue and retention.

Other four-day workweek trials have shown similar gains.

While respondents to the CNBC/Generation Lab survey largely agreed on the length of the work week, they were less unanimous when asked about working conditions. A majority of 60% say they do their best work in the office, while the remaining 40% say they do it at home.

In addition to the workplace, the shortened workweek also has advocates in Congress. Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., introduced a bill in March that would reduce the standard workweek to 32 hours, with no pay change. The Senate bill complements one that was reintroduced in the House of Representatives in March 2023 by Rep. Mark Takano, D-Calif., after failing to make progress when initially introduced in 2021.

Several prominent business leaders have also joined the conversation with their predictions for the future of the work week.

IAC and Expedia Chairman Barry Diller said he thinks companies will adopt a four-day in-office policy, followed by a flexible Friday.

“Not necessarily a four-day work week, but four days in the office, and on Fridays you can work from home or work on your own schedule,” he said on CNBC’s “Squawk Box” in April. “I think that will be the sensible evolution of all this, but it needs to be standardized.”

New York Mets owner and billionaire financier Steven Cohen thinks a widespread four-day work week is in the offing, citing the rise of artificial intelligence and generally lower productivity on Fridays. That thought partially motivated his 2023 investment in the golf startup league TGL.

“I think I would have made the golf investment anyway because I think there’s a longer-term view, but I believe a four-day work week is coming,” Cohen told “Squawk Box” in April.

Do you want to earn extra money in addition to your day job? Sign up for CNBC’s new online course How to Earn Passive Income Online to learn more about common passive income streams, tips for getting started, and real-life success stories. CNBC Make It readers can use the special discount code CNBC40 to get 40% off through 8/15/24.

Plus, sign up for the CNBC Make It newsletter to get tips and tricks for success at work, with money and in life.